1.08.2011

Rosette Throw Pillow...{And a Glue Gun}


I know so many people have their hearts and eyes set on the Pottery Barn etc, but I must be completely honest with you, I could spend my hours and days in Target. I found this yellow rosette throw pillow {below} on a fellow bloggers post. She recently purchased it. And OH how I fell in love with it.
Especially because I want to do my bedroom in beautiful calming whites, and ivory colors with an accent color of mustard yellow (or puke yellow is what I like to call it...but it's still a favorite color of mine).

Well...my bedroom isn't headed in that direction any time soon, so I wanted to take a stab at the creation of a fabulous pillow.
1: Because everyone can use a new throw pillow!
2:To see if I will be able to recreate this pillow at a later date with the yellow and ivory!
So I tested it out...and found out that it was kinda fun!
I ripped strips of cotton fabric...
About 1"- 1.5" thick strips.

Then I popped a squat on the floor with a glue gun and a cut of wax paper (so that I dont get glue on the carpet...again).
I took a strip of fabric and started folding and glueing...
just fold and glue... starting from the inside.
I made it a couple inches wide.
This will be the flower center.
Then I drew a circle on the wax paper the size I want my rosette flowers.

Now we start from the outside and work in. There shouldn't be any rhythm or reason really.

I did about 2-3 rows for the outside of the flower.
RIGHT: Here's the outside of the flower (that will lay flat)
LEFT: The inside of the flower I turn over and make a ring of hot glue and then plop it in the middle.

Repeat 8 more times :)
and sew em on a pillow!
I think the only thing I'd change is to make them a touch larger so that there's not much space between each of them.
And I think thread might suit others better, but I'm much much too lazy to sit with a needle and thread!

17 comments:

DanielleisNesting said...

I love this! I saw the same pillow and you made it look exactly the same!

Andrea said...

OMG! Those are beautiful! I must make some of these! Hopefully then turn out as nice as yours! :)

Maggie said...

Sooo beautiful :) a great way for me to use my scraps, too... :)

Barbie said...

1. I love Target too! Target and Ikea can always make me happy :)
2. LOVE it, i have some UGLY throw pillows that I got second hand and now I know how to spruce them up! Great tutorial!

Jenn said...

OK My friend!!! You are amazing!!!

SarainAkko said...

Saw this over at Be Different Act Normal, and had to stop by to say it is ab-fab. Thanks for the how to I'm off to find pillows to rose-ify.

LakshmiRP said...

Lovely & so simple to make. Thanks for the inspiration

CJ said...

You make it look so simple, even I can do it. I've got Christmas stockings that weren't completes before Christmas, and I'd wanted to add a flower to one or two of them... My procrastination has paid off! :) Thanks!

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

This is so cute and no sewing to make the flowers is even better! Love it!

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

Love it! Thank you for taking the time to write the tutorial.

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

mollymell said...

Thta's awesome!

Jeanne Lobsinger said...

I have been wanting to try the rosettes. This tutorial is the easiest I have seen. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

These are so cute but I'm a major blonde and I can't get my flowers to turn out right! I don't get the folding lol Can anyone help me?

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

I love this. I was so going to buy the ones from Target but doing this I can change the color.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know that I featured these throw pillows today at my DIY Throw Pillow round up.
http://thecraftedsparrow.blogspot.com/2012/04/15-great-ideas-for-diy-throw-pillows.html#more

Anonymous said...

Super cute, love the bright color! And cool combo with the brown. Plus it's awesome that you can put the rosettes on a store-bought pillow to customize it - very fun DIY. You should consider entering it in the Craftbaby DIY Throw Pillow Contest http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/9/diy-throw-pillows-sweeps

Jen said...

Love!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...